I am so excited to be writing today’s inspiration post. Its a story of reinvention, rediscovering your passions and changing your attitude.
Today’s post features a good friend of mine – Teresa Scarpato.
Over the past few years, I have had the privilege of watching my friend transform. Teresa and I are alike in so many ways. Strong women who enjoy giving and putting our best foot forward. Everything from work to volunteering gets 110% of our commitment AND our hearts. Teresa is a giver – someone who wants deeply and passionately to support those she’s cares for the most.
But what happens when the giver is depleted and has nothing else to give? Or your passions turn to obligation? Or you’ve been hurt by the takers in the world?
You decide to reinvent your life and make a conscious decision to structure your life around things that feed YOUR soul. To give to yourself first.
Now, I asked Teresa to make a short video about what helped her change her attitude about life. I’m not going to feature it for one simple reason – I want to list all the amazing things this woman has done to transform her life.
- Sunshine Scarpato (her cat): Making the decision to get this amazing feline changed her life. Check out Sunshine on Facebook
- tail-f ART: BEAUTIFUL artwork – mostly acrylic, but also mixed media and drawing. What’s the name mean? You’ll need to visit the website to find out!
- Work: Teresa made a conscious decision to not allow her job to take over her life. This was HUGE for her. Boundaries were set and a plan B was put into place in case of lay offs. Unfortunately, the workplace just isn’t what it used to be. Its a great suggestion to always have a plan B so you can feel at ease and not anchored to your job.
- Sunshine’s Doodles: Teresa has brought her beloved cat to life in cartoon form. The doodles feature Sunshine supporting our troops, meeting Santa Claus, voting, on the ice with the Bruins and so much more. Teresa also has done doodles of other animals for gifts and other occasions. See all of Sunshine’s adventures.
- Photography: This girl takes some amazing photos! You can see some of them below. Her most recent adventure allows her to fill her portfolio with all sorts of great shots. What is her latest passion…
- Being a docent at a local zoo. Teresa volunteers her time every weekend to help run programs and educate people about all the amazing animals at the zoo. The best part about this – she is in love with the work. She has said that “it makes her week” and that “coming to the zoo is phenomenal.” And my favorite part of this passion is seeing how she lights up when she speaks about it. Teresa has worked many hours in other roles as a volunteer but this truly brightens her world.
Teresa began to recognize and say “no” to things that weren’t making her happy. If it felt like an obligation or didn’t make her happy – it was out. Nowadays, you don’t see that happen often. Our lives are filled with obligations disguised as passions. We agree to something because we “feel bad” but that takes a toll.
I admire Teresa for the conscious choice she made and am reminded of her actions every time I’m faced with an obligation masquerading as a passion.
Thank you for the inspiration, my friend!
All images © Teresa Loftin Scarpato 2014-2016